St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne (SVHM) is part of St Vincent's Health Australia and is a leading teaching, research and tertiary health service which employs more than 6,500 staff across 18 sites throughout Melbourne. SVHM provides a diverse range of adult clinical services including acute medical and surgical services, sub-acute, medical diagnostics, rehabilitation, allied health, mental health, palliative care, correctional health and community residential care. SVHM is one of Australia's leading Catholic not-for-profit healthcare providers. St Vincent has a strong reputation and is committed to supporting and fostering postgraduate training.
SVHM provides a well- supported environment for trainees undertaking the RACP PREP program. The hospital is accredited as a level 3 hospital by the RACP and has a structured and comprehensive training program providing individual support for all trainees. SVHM has an outstanding reputation over many years for success in the RACP examinations.
There are general medical and subspecialty rotations available to enable trainees to experience a variety of disciplines prior to making a career pathway decision.
- Addiction Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- General Medicine (SVHM, Warranambool, Werribee, Sale)
- Intensive Care
- Palliative Care (SVHM, Peter MacCallum)
St. Vincent's has a strong commitment to supporting our doctors in postgraduate training. Training programs are coordinated by the Prevocational Supervisor, Supervisors of Physician and Surgical Training and the Medical Education Officer. Education programs include a comprehensive medical orientation program on commencement, weekly lunchtime education sessions on a range of topics specific to junior medical staff and weekly grand rounds. Medical Education is located in the St Vincent’s Hospital Clinical Education and Simulation Centre, providing opportunities to utilise the laboratory, simulation and other facilities for clinical skills education.
All BPT positions are subject to the state-wide computer matching process, conducted by the Post Graduate Medical Council of Victoria (PMCV), as such, applications must be made both to SVHM and PMCV.
All BPT3 candidates must meet the eligibility criteria for the Match and register with the PMCV. For information on the Computer Match process and to register, refer to the PMCV website at www.computermatching.pmcv.com.au.
As part of your application, please ensure you include the following:
- A cover letter outlining your reasons for application to St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne and any particular speciality interest you may have.
- Your CV (the PMCV template is recommended and includes a photograph).
- Any other documentation requested as part of the application (in many cases, we may ask you to fill in a preference form, listing your stream/specialty preferences)
- References: For PMCV positions, applicants must nominate reference via the PMCV website, in non-match positions, we may ask for referee reports to be included as part of the application.
- Applicants who have been shortlisted will be invited to attend an interview via either email or a Trybooking link.
- You will be interviewed by a panel of doctors selected based on your preferred stream/s and specialisation/s.
- Interviews will be approx. 15 minutes long and will consist of both clinical and behavioural based questions.
If you are new to SVHM or have not worked at SVHM in the previous 12 months, you will be required to attend an Orientation prior to your commencement. Orientation is held on the first Monday of the new term. You will be contacted by SVHM Education & Learning inviting you to Orientation and providing you with further details about your commencement. If you are not commencing around a new clinical term date, you will be contacted by either the Medical Workforce Unit, or Medical Education Officer to arrange an alternative.
If there are no current positions listed that match your area of interest or you are looking to apply outside the regular clinical year cycle, we encourage you to register an expression of interest and join our Talent Community.
Please click here to register your expression of interest for any roles in the future.