Patients are to follow the instructions on there letters from their Wait list officers, not ring Day Procedures between 3.30pm and 4.30pm. There is no answer phone for messages.
If patients condition etc changes they need to ring their wait list officers with this information.
- Do not smoke for at least 12 hours before a procedure.
- Please phone the Nurse in Charge on (03) 9288 4414 about your medications to be taken on the procedure day.
- For procedures before midday, do not eat or drink after midnight the night before.
- For procedures after midday, do not eat or drink after 6.00am that day
- If you are diabetic your doctor should have given you additional instructions. If you have not received these instructions, please phone the Nurse in Charge on (03) 9288 4414.
Please bring the following items:
- Medicare Card
- Health insurance details, if you have insurance
- Health Care Card, if you are eligible for healthcare assistance.
- Veteran's Affairs details, if applicable
- Full/part pension number, if applicable
- WorkCare or TAC information with employer details and claim number, if applicable
- Referral letters
- Current medications
- Pharmaceutical entitlement number
- Telephone numbers of two family members or friends who can be contacted if necessary
Please do not wear make-up or nail polish, and do not bring valuables such as money or jewellery. Wear comfortable walking shoes or slippers and loose clothing. Pyjamas and dressing gowns are not required. All necessary clothing will be provided.
You can arrive by private or public transport. It is essential that you have an adult to accompany you home by car or taxi when discharged. Your day procedure will be cancelled if you are unable to make suitable transport arrangements for going home. You cannot take public transport home. Visit our map section to view details of the hospital and surrounding streets.
It is important to arrive on time for your appointment to allow sufficient time to prepare for the procedure. If you think you may be late, please phone (03) 9288 4424. The Day Procedure Centre is open from 6.30am to 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.
Enter the hospital through the main entrance at Building A - Main Hospital, located in Princes Street off Nicholson Street. See the map of our Fitzroy campus.
Take the lift to the first floor, follow the sign to Day Procedures and register at the reception desk.
Your doctor will advise you on the type of anaesthetic to be administered after questioning and examining you to assess your:
- medical history
- drug allergies
- current illnesses or infections
- medicines, tablets or drugs you are taking. Please bring the containers or a list of the drugs your have taken in the last month.
Your doctor will also supervise your post-anaesthetic care until you are fit to go home.
You may feel slightly drowsy after the procedure, and for 24 hours you must not:
- drive a vehicle
- operate machinery
- drink alcohol
- take sedatives, unless prescribed
- sign any important legal documents
- engage in any social activities
When you leave you will receive instructions with advice on activity, eating, drinking, bathing and dressing, as well as who to contact if problems arise.
If you have any difficulties after leaving St Vincent’s, please call Emergency on (03) 9288 4365.