My Health Record
My Health Record is the name of the national digital health record system. It is sometimes referred to as an e-health record (EHR). Any patient with a Medicare number can register to have one.
My Health Record was previously known as the Personally Controlled Patient Record (PCEHR). It does not replace existing medical records but provides an additional, secure online summary.
What are the benefits?
Every year, the average Australian has 22 interactions with the health care system, including visits to GPs, hospitals and specialists. My Health Record can enable your clinicians to access information about your care and treatment, quickly and securely. This can include important details such as allergies, medical conditions, medication details, test results and organ donation decisions.
- It allows people to take more control of their own health and wellbeing, manage their children’s health, and upload key documents, like emergency contacts and advanced care plan wishes.
- Accessing this information can help prevent doctors ordering unnecessary repeat investigations. It also allows our clinicians to see details of your treatment outside SVHM, providing you with the best possible care quickly.
- Enabling other health professionals you authorise to see your key health summary so you don't have to repeat it or worry about forgetting important information, like medications.
- Helping you and your healthcare providers to better manage complex or chronic conditions
- You can customise access to your My Health Record by setting access controls including restricting who can see your information, or cancel your record, at any time
You can also look up these details from anywhere with internet access.
How is SVHM involved?
St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne will be uploading patient discharge summaries to My Health Record as of late November 2018.
If you are registered for My Health Record, a discharge summary from SVHM will be automatically uploaded after your inpatient admission.
You have the right to withdraw consent to have your discharge summary uploaded at any time or for any specific admission.
Please let us know at your next visit if you have any concerns about this.
In future, other documents such as referrals and pathology and radiology results may be added.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost to register for My Health Record. Over 5.8 million Australians have already registered to have one.
Is My Health Record secure?
You will be given a login and password when you register for My Health Record. You can control which organisations and doctors can view your information. Strict rules and legislation also protects My Health Record from misuse. There are penalties for anyone who breaks these.
How do I get more information?