Consumer and Carer Resources

Find out more about community and inpatient mental health at St Vincent's

St Vincent's Community Mental Health Information for consumers, carers and families

St Vincent's Acute Inpatient Mental Health Information for consumers, carers and families


Your rights

All people who use public health services in Victoria have rights.

For people who are being assessed or while treated under the Mental Health Act 2014, some additional rights apply. You will receive a copy of a statement of your rights from your treating team. Please visit the following link to access a statement of rights or other information related to the Mental Health Act 2014:

If you have any specific concerns about the service you receive, we encourage you speak with us - we are here to help. You can also seek assistance from an independent body, the Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC) on 1800 246 054 (toll free).

For information about mental health care rights and responsibilities please visit   (with thanks to North West Area Mental Health Service for this great resource)


Family Violence

For further information or to speak to somebody about family violence, you can contact:


Alcohol and other drug supports

DACAS is a specialist telephone consultancy service to assist health and welfare professionals to respond to individuals with alcohol or other drug use problems. Health care professionals can contact DACAS on 1800 812 804.

If you or someone you care about has an alcohol or drug problem, call DirectLine on 1800 888 236.

DirectLine provides 24/7 counselling, information and referral. Directline has an extensive database of providers of drug and alcohol services.  

DirectLine is a free, anonymous and confidential statewide service.


Useful websites