Information for Consumers

COVID Positive Pathways

St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne (SVHM) provides the Victorian COVID Positive Pathways (CPP) program for COVID positive people residing in St Vincent’s catchment.

CPP is a phone-based care and support program for COVID positive people, so they can isolate safely at home. It also identifies when people have worsening symptoms to help them access medical advice or care, including Hospital in the Home (HITH) or as a patient in hospital if they need it.

SVHM delivers CPP as part of the North Eastern Health Service partnership, along with Austin Health, Northern Health and Eastern Health, and the North Eastern Public Health Unit (NEPHU).

What happens when I test positive?

People who test positive from a nose swab (PCR test sent to a laboratory), or who self-report a positive Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) (saliva or nose swab), receive a text message on their mobile phone confirming their positive test. They will also get a text message survey from the Victorian Department of Health. It is very important to complete the survey, so people are directed to the right advice, treatment and supports for their needs. The survey asks questions about:

  • Their vaccinations
  • Their current symptoms
  • Their general health
  • Where they have been in the past week
  • If they are happy to contact their GP/local doctor for help

Based on their survey answers, people are directed into a pathway of care: self-care, or a low, medium or high-risk care pathway. People are then informed by text message of the next steps.

This may include phone calls from St Vincent’s Hospital’s COVID Positive Pathways Team to check on their symptoms and whether more advice or support is needed.    

More information is available here COVID Positive Pathways | Coronavirus Victoria

How to manage at home

People who are assessed as being suitable for the self-care or low risk pathway will receive further text messages with more information about:

  • Managing mild COVID symptoms at home
  • Symptoms of concern
  • Where and how to seek help for medical support

Further information about managing at home with COVID is available here Managing COVID-19 at home | Coronavirus Victoria

What if my symptoms are getting worse?

The Victorian Department of Health has information on monitoring your symptoms and when to get help at this website Managing COVID-19 at home | Coronavirus Victoria

For worsening symptoms you can call Nurse-on-Call on 1300 606 024 or your General Practitioner.

If you are already receiving support from St Vincent’s COVID Positive Pathways program you can call them on (03) 9231 4900 (8.30am-5pm, 7 days/week).

After hours support for COVID positive people can also be accessed 24/7 through Northern Health’s Virtual Emergency Department. Go to this website for further information Emergency Department - Northern Health

For severe symptoms or medical emergencies call 000

How to self-report a positive Rapid Antigen Test (RAT)

If you have a positive result on a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) you are considered a confirmed case.

You must report this positive RAT result as soon as possible. You can do this any of these ways:

COVID positive people are allocated to CPP based on their residential postcode. St Vincent’s provides CPP for people living in these postcodes:

3002 East Melbourne    

3053 Carlton, Carlton South

3054 Carlton North, Princes Hill

3065 Fitzroy

3066 Collingwood, Collingwood Nth      

3067 Abbotsford

3068 Clifton Hill, Fitzroy North                 

3070 Northcote, Northcote South

3101 Kew, Cotham                                                         

3121 Richmond, Richmond East/North/South, Cremorne, Burnley, Burnley North

3122 Hawthorn, Hawthorn North, Hawthorn West, Auburn South, Glenferrie South