St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne (SVHM) is part of St Vincent’s Health Australia and a leading teaching, research and tertiary health service which employs more than 6,500 staff across 18 sites throughout Melbourne. SVHM provides a diverse range of adult clinical services including acute medical and surgical services, sub-acute care, medical diagnostics, rehabilitation, allied health, mental health, palliative care, correctional health and community residential care. SVHM is one of Australia's leading Catholic not-for-profit healthcare providers.
St Vincent’s has a strong reputation and is committed to supporting and fostering postgraduate training.
The early postgraduate years are designed to provide exposure to your selected discipline and allow you to decide on a career pathway. We aim to tailor your terms for your further surgical career and allow you to fulfil all pre-requisites for SET training. We have a surgical mentor and a SET surgical supervisor who is available to discuss that.
We have terms available at other territory hospitals and rural hospitals in all specialty areas.
SVHM’s Pre-set Surgical Society aims to ensure St Vincent’s Hospital continues to nurture the careers of young surgeons. The committee aims to provide a tailored education program, mentorship, research and volunteer opportunities to the Pre -SET Surgical Residents.
St. Vincent's has a strong commitment to supporting our doctors in postgraduate training. Training programs are coordinated by the Prevocational Supervisor, Supervisors of Physician and Surgical Training and the Medical Education Officer. Education programs include a comprehensive medical orientation program on commencement, weekly lunchtime education sessions on a range of topics specific to junior medical staff and weekly grand rounds. Medical Education is located in the St Vincent’s Hospital Clinical Education and Simulation Centre, providing opportunities to utilise the laboratory, simulation and other facilities for clinical skills education.
Each candidate who has accepted an offer of employment for the upcoming clinical year has the opportunity to list any rotation preferences, leave requests and any other requirements prior to the upcoming allocation being finalised.
Attempts will be made to accommodate special requests within the rosters i.e. annual leave for major personal events, rotation allocation based on training and conference leave etc., however please be aware not all requests will be able to be facilitated.
The rotations available in this steam and year level are:
- Plastics (SVHM, RCH)
- ENT (SVHM, Ballarat)
- Cardiothoracic (SVHM, SVPH)
- Upper GI
- General Surgery (Werribee Mercy, Swan Hill)
As part of your application, please ensure you include the following:
- A cover letter outlining your reasons for application to St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne and any particular speciality interest you may have.
- Your CV (Please take not of any requests for specific formatting of your CV as part of the application).
- Any other documentation requested as part of the application (in many cases, we may ask you to fill in a preference form, listing your stream/specialty preferences)
- References: For PMCV positions, applicants must nominate reference via the PMCV website, in non-match positions, we may ask for referee reports to be included as part of the application.
- Applicants who have been shortlisted will be invited to attend an interview via either email or a Trybooking link.
- You will be interviewed by a panel of doctors selected based on your preferred stream/s and specialisation/s.
- Interviews will be approx. 15 minutes long and will consist of both clinical and behavioural based questions.
If you are new to SVHM or have not worked at SVHM in the previous 12 months, you will be required to attend an Orientation prior to your commencement. Orientation is held on the first Monday of the new term. You will be contacted by SVHM Education & Learning inviting you to Orientation and providing you with further details about your commencement. If you are not commencing around a new clinical term date, you will be contacted by either the Medical Workforce Unit, or Medical Education Officer to arrange an alternative.
If there are no current positions listed that match your area of interest or you are looking to apply outside the regular clinical year cycle, we encourage you to register an expression of interest and join our Talent Community.
Please click here to register your interest in future roles at SVHM.