St George’s Health Service, located in Kew, provides a comprehensive aged care service, including inpatient care, evaluation and management, residential aged care, rehabilitation, acute psychiatry, as well as a broad range of community-based assessment and treatment services.
St George's Health Service became part of St Vincent's in March 2001, under an auspice arrangement with the Victorian government. Prior to this, the Service was part of the Inner & Eastern Health Care Network.
St George's Health Service was established in 1912 by an order of Church of England nuns, the Sisters of the Holy Name. In 1949, the Hospital was sold to the Victorian government. For many years, St George's Health Service was known for expertise in maternity, acute medical and surgical services.
From 1991, St George's Health Service began developing aged care services. From 1996 to 1998 the acute medical, surgical and maternity services were transferred to other facilities. From early 1999, St George's Health Service provided solely specialised aged care services.
In 2008 the purpose-built St Vincent's Community Rehabilitation Centre was opened to provide specialised rehabilitation services to people living in the City of Yarra and City of Boroondara.
To learn more about the rehabilitation centre please read our St Vincent's Community Rehabilitation Centre page.
283 Cotham Road, Kew VIC 3101
PO Box 2900, Fitzroy VIC 3065
(03) 9816 0444
Back to St Vincent's sites