It is important to St Vincent's that our content is available to every user. WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) 1.0 and W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) recommendations were followed to ensure accessibility for all. Please contact us if you have any accessibility questions or recommendations, since we strive to always improve the user experience for visitors.
- A hidden 'skip to content' link has been added to enable users with screen readers to go directly to the content area of the page, bypassing the navigation.
The content areas within the site all use relative font sizing rather than fixed font sizing. Fixed fonts have only been used for the navigational components within the page to ensure consistency across browsers. Some users may find that increasing the text size within their browser will make reading pages easier.
To change the text size:
- In Internet Explorer, click the View menu, then select Text Size and then choose larger or largest (the default is medium). Alternatively, hold down the Ctrl key and scroll the mouse wheel (if you have one). Please note that when the font is set to largest, the headings within some sections will wrap and may become difficult to read.
- In Firefox, click the View menu, then select Text Size and then choose whether you would like to increase the size (increase) or decrease the size (decrease). Alternatively, hold down the Ctrl key and at the same time, push the + or - key to increase or reduce the font respectively.
- Most links are text based. When an image is used for linking, then it is specified with an Alt (alternate) tag.
- Wording of links are contextual where possible (for example, instead of 'more' or 'click here', this site will use 'more about Dr Jones' or 'read about STV being smoke free'). This makes navigation easier for users browsing with screen readers.
- Only meaningful images have been supplied with text descriptions. This will assist screen readers and users who browse the internet with image display turned off.
- The usage of PDFs has been avoided where possible. There are free PDF converters available.
41 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy VIC 3065, Australia. Phone:
(03) 9288 2211