|St Vincent’s has a strong commitment and reputation in supporting and fostering postgraduate training. Training programs are coordinated by the Director of Medical Education in conjunction with the Supervisor of Intern Training, Medical Education Officer and Directors of Physician and Surgical Training.
In order to assist in a smooth transition to working and training at St Vincent’s the following programs are implemented:
- An interactive orientation program at the commencement of the intern year. This involves hands-on skill based sessions for 2 days followed by a 'shadow day' working as a buddy with a more experienced resident from the first rotation they are to commence.
- Interns are also provided with an Intern Survival Guide which includes useful hospital information and clinical notes to assist with the transition from medical student to intern.
- Weekly education sessions aligned with Australian Curriculum Framework for Junior Doctors (ACFJD) for junior medical staff.
- Specifically designed orientation for residents and registrars that are new to the hospital.
- Orientation and learning objectives for each rotation.
- Secure HMO website for junior doctors providing access to past education sessions and access to clinical information for doctors on rural and regional rotations.
- Training in the Education Centre using human simulation to develop both clinical and non- technical skills which are developed through yearly Advanced Life Support (ALS) sessions.
- Hospital-wide education. These include unit-specific presentations and general sessions such as Grand Rounds and Surgical Audit Meetings and Department of Medicine Meetings.
41 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy VIC 3065, Australia. Phone:
(03) 9288 2211