skip to content
skip to content
skip to content

Milestones 

 

Over the years, St Vincent's milestones have included:

 

  • 1910 – recognition of the St Vincent’s Clinical School, the first teaching school to have an official agreement with the University of Melbourne
  • 1938 – Caritas Christi Hospice established in Studley Park Road, Kew, to provide care for the terminally ill  
  • 1957 – Chair of Medicine established. Its Professors have been John Hayden, Carl de Gruchy, David Penington, Jack Martin and James Best
  • 1957 – foundation of an affiliated research institute, with Pehr Edman as its first Director
  • 1959 – foundation of the Home Care Extension Service, providing home-based care linked to hospital services (now known as St Vincent's at Home)
  • 1961 – Australia’s first ICU is opened and a specialist postgraduate course in intensive care nursing developed
  • 1966 – Chair of Surgery established. Its Professors have been Richard Bennett, Wayne Morrison and Peter Choong
  • 1970 – foundation of the Microsurgery Research Centre with Bernard O’Brien as Director
  • 1976 – Prague House established in Sackville Street, Kew, to provide residential services for older men with particular health needs who have experienced homelessness. Prague House moved to a new purpose-built facility adjacent to St George’s at Cotham Road in 2006 and now houses both men and women.
  • 1995 – opening of a $160 million inpatient building on the Fitzroy campus
  • 2001 – St George’s Health Service becomes an integral part of St Vincent’s, providing specialised aged care and rehabilitation services
  • 2006 – opening of a state-of-the-art health education centre  
  • 2008 – St Vincent's wins the Premier's Award for most outstanding metropolitan health service of the year  
41 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy VIC 3065, Australia. Phone: (03) 9288 2211